Guiltless Pie? Count the Ways
Looking for a super easy, delicious, light, inexpensive dessert? Just in time for Thanksgiving (and really a dessert you could eat all year long), try our Guiltless Pumpkin Pie.
It’s guiltless because:
- No crust means fewer calories.
- Fat free milk saves calories, but has all the nutrition.
- One serving provides 170% of your daily Vitamin A needs. Pumpkins are one of those orange vegetables along with carrots, sweet potatoes, and other winter squash that we need about 2 cups of each week.
This would be an easy recipe for a beginning cook or a cook’s helper. You don’t even need a mixer. The trickiest thing is to make sure to use a 5-ounce can of evaporated milk (the regular size can is 12 ounces), and cook the pie until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice or 3/4 teaspoon each ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
- 1 5-ounce can fat free evaporated milk
- Optional: Lowfat whipped topping and ground cinnamon.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease or spray a 9-inch pie plate; set aside.
- Place eggs in large bowl, beat with a fork or whisk. Add sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Stir until well mixed.
- Stir in pumpkin and evaporated milk. Pour into prepared pie plate.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes – or until center is set.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving time. If desired, add a spoonful of lowfat whpped topping to each serving and sprinkle with additional ground cinnamon.
View the recipe and the video.