At last, a recipe for whole wheat bread that does not have to be kneaded. This bread is delicious, easy, and less expensive than whole wheat bread you buy at the store. Just don’t expect it to rise as high as other yeast breads with white enriched flour.
Here are a few tips for making bread:
- Heat cold milk in microwave for 45-60 seconds for lukewarm temperature. Test a drop on the inside of your wrist. It should feel very warm but not hot.
- Keep whole wheat flour in the refrigerator or freezer for storage. Bring flour to room temperature to make bread.
- Instant yeast is also called fast rising, rapid rise, quick rise, and bread machine yeast.
- 1 packet of yeast = 2 1/4 teaspoons
No Knead Whole Wheat Bread
Serving Size: 1 slice | Serves: 16 | Cost Per Serving: $.12
- 1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) nonfat milk, lukewarm (100-110°F)
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) orange or apple juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 packet instant yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose white flour
- Grease the sides and bottom of an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Combine the lukewarm nonfat milk, juice, and honey in a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Beat vigorously for 3 minutes. Dough will be very thick. Scoop the dough into prepared pan. Cover the pan with a clean towel. Let the dough rise in a warm place for 45-75 minutes, until almost double. Time varies according to room temperature.
- When dough is almost doubled, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove towel and bake bread for about 30 minutes. Dough will pull away from sides of pan when bread is done. Let bread cool 30 minutes before slicing.
- Make 2 smaller loaves using half sized loaf pans. Bake for 23-27 minutes.
- Make herb dinner rolls. Mix 4 teaspoons of dried herbs such as oregano, parsley, basil, rosemary, or thyme into the batter. Use muffin tins and bake 15 minutes.
- Make 100% whole wheat bread. Use 3 cups whole wheat flour instead of white and wheat flour and 3 tablespoons molasses instead of honey.