Last Monday I attended a lecture by Lynne Rossetto Kasper, who hosts the weekly radio program called The Splendid Table, on American Public Media and is the author of several award winning cookbooks. I have to admit that I am a bit intimidated by the ingredients, recipes, cooking and wine experts I hear when I listen to the radio program (it’s on Saturday from 2-3 pm and Sunday from 11 am – 12 pm on Iowa Public Radio).
After meeting Kasper, I am impressed with her down to earth advice and charmed by the easy, fun way she interacts with the audience. Her talk had ideas that we try to promote on our website, blog and Facebook page. She said:
- Meals can be simple. Kasper says she cooks every night. Her weeknight meals take 20-30 minutes to prepare and usually only have about 5 ingredients.
- Get everyone involved in meals. Meals are about the people, not just the food.
- On weekends, Kasper says to try something you have never tried. Give yourself permission to have an adventure and let yourself enjoy cooking. Enjoy the process and forget about the results.
In a recent blog from The Splendid Table, Kasper gives her top 5 characteristics of good cooks. Here they are:
- Good cooks don’t waste anything.
- Good cooks clean as they go.
- Good cooks read a recipe from beginning to end before they begin.
- Good cooks taste as they go.
- Good cooks use their hands.
If you want to read more check out this blog posting.