Answering Your Questions: Feeding Hail Damaged Grain
Question: Is it okay to feed moldy grain to my cattle? Is there a certain amount that’s safe to mix into my rations?
Loy’s Answer: The answer to this question is not simple. Any time mold is present there is the potential for grain to produce mycotoxins that can be harmful to cattle. However, the presence of mold does not guarantee a problem. Grain without visible mold can contain mycotoxins and extremely moldy grain can be very safe. Generally cattle are more tolerant of mycotoxins than other species. The most common problem with moldy grain is palatablity. A common recommendation is to feed no more than 10% of the grain mix and then gradually increase that amount, closely watching acceptability. To be completely safe grains can be screened for major mycotoxins. Talk to your local veterinarian for details of tests available through the ISU Veterinary Diagnostic Lab.
For more information about mycotoxins in hail damaged grain, check out the following Iowa State University resources:
- “Risk of Mycotoxins Associated with Hail Damaged Corn,” article, Integrated Crop Management News
- ISU Vet Lab testing information
- ISU Extension’s page on hail damaged crops