Episode 5: Talking to Kids about Natural Disasters
The floods, storms and tornadoes of 2011 are taking their toll on the nation’s children, who may be stressed, worried or frightened about what is happening to them and their families. Learn how to talk to kids about natural disasters in this month’s Science of Parenting radio program podcast.
- Help Children Cope with a Disaster (ISU Extension)
- Helping Children Cope after Disasters (CYFERNet)
- Understanding the Impact of Disasters on the Lives of Children and Youth (PDF) (University of Arizona)
- Any Iowan may call the Iowa Concern Hotline, 800-447-1985, to speak with a counselor 24 hours, seven days a week.
- Project Recovery Iowa serves Hamilton, Story, Polk, Jasper, Warren, Marion and Wapello counties. Residents may call the Iowa Concern Hotline, 800-447-1985, to be connected with a Project Recovery Iowa counselor who can meet with them.
ISU Extension publications
- Helping Children Manage Stress – Taking Charge (PDF)
- Fears – Understanding Children (PDF)
- Learn about Ages and Stages of child development from birth to age 11