Before trying new recipes for the holidays, evaluate them for food safety.
- Avoid recipes containing raw eggs because of the Salmonella risk. Older cookbooks may have recipes for ice cream, mayonnaise, eggnog, and desserts that use raw eggs.
- Be cautious with marinades. Marinate only in the refrigerator in glass or plastic containers.
- Use slow cookers safely. Defrost meat or poultry before putting it in the cooker. Keep the lid in place except when stirring the food or checking for doneness.
- Always cook meat thoroughly. Use a food thermometer to cook foods to a safe temperature.
- Post our toll-free number on your refrigerator for expert, research-based answers to your questions about holiday food preparation. ISU Extension and Outreach AnswerLine (800) 262-3804.
- Remember many major food companies have 800 numbers for answers to questions on about their own products. If you have a question about an item, check the package for a toll free number.