- 1 2-3 pound spaghetti squash
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 16-ounce jar spaghetti sauce
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds with a spoon.
- Place halves, cut side down, in a microwavable casserole dish. Add the water. Cover dish with plastic wrap, leaving corners uncovered. Microwave on high 15 minutes until squash is tender when pierced with a fork.
- While squash cooks, heat spaghetti sauce in saucepan over medium heat. When heated through, remove from heat, cover, and set aside.
- Remove squash from microwave and cool for 5 minutes. Remove plastic wrap.
- Using a fork, scrape the inside of the squash into long strings and place in a bowl.
- Add heated spaghetti sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve warm.
Optional: Add 1/2 pound cooked lean ground beef or ground turkey.
Nutrient information per serving
Without ground beef: 223 calories, 8 g total fat, 2 mg cholesterol, 657 mg sodium, 38 g total carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
With ground beef: 373 calories, 19 g total fat, 45 mg cholesterol, 696 mg sodium, 38 g total