February 1st, 2011
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes (Mexican-style)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn or 1 15-ounce can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5-ounce can sodium-reduced chicken broth or 2 cups Homemade Chicken Broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
- Add tomatoes, beans, corn, broth, garlic, chili powder, cumin (if desired), and pepper in large saucepan.
- Remove and discard any visible fat from chicken. Cut chicken into large chunks and add to the saucepan. Heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken and place on a plate; use forks to shred the chicken. Return the shredded chicken to soup.
- Serve with choice of garnishes, such as baked tortilla chips, chopped cilantro, low fat shredded cheese, fat-free sour cream.
Yield: 8 1-cup servings.
Per Serving: 180 calories, 1.5 g fat, 635 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 5.2 g fiber, 18.7 g protein