- Warm winter clothing; things like gloves, coat, and boots.
- Warm blankets or sleeping bags
- Flashlight-check to be sure the batteries are fresh
- First aid kit.
- Red flag or Send Help Sign or something to attract attention.
- Sack of dry sand or cat litter.
- Booster cables.
- Cell phone- car charger is also a good idea
- High energy food like candy bars or beef jerky.
Remember to plan ahead when traveling long distances this winter. Watch the weather reports and check on road conditions along your planned route. Iowa , Minnesota, and South Dakota have websites with updated road conditions. Save these as favorites on your cell phone for easy access or download the cell phone app for your state; Iowa, Minnesota or South Dakota. Let friends or relatives know your destination and when you are expected to arrive. If you are delayed, let them know that you are still safe.
Drive at a safe speed for the weather conditions and maintain a safe following distance. Speed and following distance should be adjusted for current weather. Drive defensively and wear your seatbelts. Make sure children are properly buckled into their safety seats.