Now that school has started it may be time to get into a new routine. Remembering to check the pockets of clothing is a task I can often forget. Here are some tips if you miss one of those new school crayons and it goes through the washer and dryer. Remember, this is a dye stain so you will need to spray or sponge that stain with a dry-cleaning solvent (Goof Off or Goo Gone) then rub with heavy-duty liquid laundry detergent before washing.
If the crayon accidently end up inside a dryer load of clothes and left multiple stains:
- First place the amount of detergent you would use for that size washer load into the washing machine.
- Next, add 1 cup water conditioner (Spring Rain, Calgon or Rain Drops) and 1 cup baking soda.
- Fill up washer with clothes and water and agitate the load for 5 minutes.
- Allow the load to soak for a bit before you finish washing.
- Check before putting in dryer. You may still have to try a dry cleaning fluid on remaining spots.
If you need to clean the dryer:
- Unplug or shut off the gas. Use a non-abrasive, non-flammable cleanser (Soft-Scrub) and clean.
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water.
- Then tumble a load of old rags or towels on regular cycle to remove rest of stain.
Hope that this helps when you find yourself with this problem.