John Lawrence’s Monday Message from April 24, 2017
One of the perks of this job I’ve noticed so far is an open invitation to county events. In the past week I attended Mahaska County’s 100th anniversary celebration dinner, Polk County’s 100th anniversary open house and Worth County’s open house at their new office. The hamburgers were great (Thanks, Mahaska County Cattlemen!), the rain didn’t put a damper on Polk’s party and Worth gave me my first official ribbon cutting (without the ribbon). I always enjoy meeting with our partners, staff and council members. At Annual Conference I asked you to invite me out, and I thank you for taking me up on it. Linda Brinkmeyer makes sure everything fits on my dance card, so keep those invitations coming.
Over my 25 years with ISU Extension and Outreach I have visited many of the county offices for meetings and discussions with producers. My wife and I also visited each office over a three year period and have a picture with our motorcycle in front of each ISU Extension and Outreach XXXXXXX County sign.
Never forget that our county extension councils enable us to do great things. Did you know?
- Iowa has had elected county extension councils since the 1955 County Agricultural Extension Law.
- The Iowa Extension Council Association helps our councils have a greater impact and voice for issues being addressed by local and state government.
- The Extension Council Training Academy offers individual and group training to increase council members’ knowledge and effectiveness.
- Through the Engaged Scholarship Funding Program, county extension councils are investing in new research with Iowa State. For example, the Calhoun County Extension Council is partnering on a project to test how a virtual singing group intervention could be replicated across the state to help Iowans with Parkinson’s disease.
This year Bob Dodds and Cathann Kress started videotaping “Conversations with Council Members.” Bob and I plan to continue these quarterly updates for council members on new products, announcements and upcoming events. With the continuing partnership of our county extension councils, together we can achieve what we all want: a strong Iowa.
Congratulations to our Extension and Outreach colleagues on receiving University Awards.
- Donna Donald, Human Sciences: ISU Award for Distinguished Service in Extension
- Russ Euken, ANR: ISU R.K. Bliss Extension Award
- Bailey Hanson, CED: ISU Award for Early Achievement in Extension or Professional Practice
Be sure to congratulate them on their recognition and contribution to what makes our organization great.
— John D. Lawrence
Iowa State University Acting Vice President for Extension and Outreach