If you got married this year…

wedding ringsIf you got married this year, or are going to get married this year, congratulations!

During the past months your mind may have been occupied with details of wedding, honeymoon, housing decisions, moving, or other events.  In the midst of those big events, it’s easy for some small-but-important details to be overlooked.  Remember to:

Notify Social Security and get a new Social Security card  if your name changed.  If you don’t, you’ll run into problems when it’s time to file your tax return!  (I speak from personal experience on this…)

Check your tax withholdings to be sure you are having the right income tax amount taken out of your paycheck.  Your filing status and total income will be different on this year’s tax return, and if you are having too much or too little taken out of your paychecks then problems can result.  The IRS Withholding Calculator is an easy tool to make sure you are on track.

Notify www.healthcare.gov   If you purchased health insurance in the new Marketplace, log in to your www.healthcare.gov account and let them know of the change in your marital status, household size, and income.  Changes in income and family size will affect the amount of “premium tax credit” which you receive toward your health insurance premiums.

Best wishes for “happily ever after.”  ~Barb

NOTE: the IRS has more info for newlyweds, including you tube videos and podcasts.

Barb Wollan

Barb Wollan

Barb Wollan's goal as a Family Finance program specialist with Iowa State University Extension and Outreach is to help people use their money according to THEIR priorities. She provides information and tools, and then encourages folks to focus on what they control: their own decisions about what to do with the money they have.

More Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Subscribe to “MoneyTip$”

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner