In response to questions from producers and industry surrounding the legislation signed by Gov. Kim Reynolds on May 11 the Dairy Extension Team at Iowa State University will be presenting a webinar in conjunction the Iowa State Dairy Association, “Raw Milk For Human Consumption: Issues To Consider”, on July 12, 2023 from 6 to 9 pm CDT. This free webinar will be geared towards dairy producers and potential producers interested in the new rules surrounding raw milk sales in Iowa.
During this informative webinar, attendees will learn about these new rules and regulations as well as managing raw milk risk and best practices for sample collection of raw milk. The following presenters will share information and answer questions from the audience:
- Senator Jason Schultz, the District 6 Republican legislator who sponsored the bill, will outline his vision and reason for the legislation
- Kitt Tovar, attorney and manager of the Beginning Farmer Center will outline liability for producers
- Pat Gorden, DVM, PhD (College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University) will discuss best practices for sample collection under the new rules.
- Mark McAfee, MaAfee Farms and Organic Pastures, USA’s largest raw milk dairy– tells how he does raw milk
- Stephanie Clark- Iowa State University, discuss the role of sanitation in producing raw milk
- Larry Tranel & Fred Hall, discuss their top three issues in managing a 10-cow dairy
“There has been quite a bit of uncertainty and questions surrounding these new rules,” said Dr. Gail Carpenter, Iowa State University Extension Dairy Specialist. “Our goal is to provide producers with the most current information so that they can make informed decisions in light of this legislation.”
Interested producers and potential producers are encouraged to attend the free webinar live from 6 to 9 pm. on July 12 by pre-registering at least on hour prior to the program at:
For more information, contact the ISU Extension and Outreach Dairy Field Specialist in your area: in Northwest Iowa, Fred M. Hall, 712-737-4230 or firstname.lastname@example.org; in Northeast Iowa, Jennifer Bentley, 563-382-2949 or email@example.com; in East Central Iowa, Larry Tranel, 563-583-6496 or firstname.lastname@example.org; in Ames, Dr. Gail Carpenter, 515.294.9085 or email@example.com.