Here at the Science of Parenting, we believe in the power of parents. We KNOW that when armed with trustworthy information, parents are better able to make decisions about what is best for their children and their family.
Our blog contains short, sweet, and sometimes humorous posts around current issues in parenting. We want to share parenting research when you need it most. So explore our blog posts … where research and reality merge.
Don’t forget to search for past topics by using the search box in the top right of the page!
- Take a Break and Take a Breath (3/26/2020) - Were you able to join us for the very first LIVE podcast from The Science of Parenting on Thursday?! We talked a little more in-depth into our favorite parenting strategy – Stop. Breathe. Talk. If you are unfamiliar with this strategy, we have several blog posts you can look at: Stop. Breathe. Talk. (Feb. 27, … Continue reading Take a Break and Take a Breath
- Talking to Your Kids Who Are Missing Out on Big Moments (3/24/2020) - With all that’s going on to prevent the spread of COVID-19, many important events have needed to be adjusted, postponed, or even cancelled. Some of these events may be things that we and our kids, have been looking forward to for quite some time. I’ve seen countless stories on social media about kids and parents … Continue reading Talking to Your Kids Who Are Missing Out on Big Moments
- It’s Not About Being Perfect (3/19/2020) - As you might know, The Science of Parenting loves to look at research and reality. We believe parents should have access to trustworthy information, and they can use that information to make decisions about what’s best for their unique family. Where the challenges sometimes come in is actually FINDING that research-based information. Who can you … Continue reading It’s Not About Being Perfect
- Parenting in the Midst of COVID-19 (3/16/2020) - If you’ve been following us, you know that our passion is providing parents like you with research-based information for your family. With concern around COVID-19, we’ve identified some trustworthy resources to help you navigate this ever-changing situation. COVID-19 Facts FAQs Coronavirus and Children Tips for Encouraging Handwashing with Kids Steps to Prevent Illness and Protect … Continue reading Parenting in the Midst of COVID-19
- Dive Into All Things Parenting (3/11/2020) - Did you see it?! We launched our new podcast! If you’ve been following The Science of Parenting for awhile, you know that we like to look at things with a lens of R&R –and while we think rest and relaxation is important, we are talking about RESEARCH and REALITY. And that’s exactly what our podcast … Continue reading Dive Into All Things Parenting
- The Science of Parenting Podcast (3/10/2020) - If you follow along with us on social media, you may have noticed our team ‘teasing’ an upcoming project. Last week in the blog, I mentioned a few resolutions for March, which was also a teaser for that same project. We have an announcement … We’re launching a podcast! Thanks for continuing to follow along … Continue reading The Science of Parenting Podcast
- It’s Never Too Late to Set a New Year’s Resolution (2/27/2020) - As I was looking forward to what’s to come with Science of Parenting while trying to think of a blog to write today, I started to look at one of those lists of “National __ month” topics. At the top of that list, it noted that in Ancient Rome, March was the start of the … Continue reading It’s Never Too Late to Set a New Year’s Resolution
- When Should I Allow My Child To Start Dating? (2/19/2020) - In the month of February, we are looking at relationships. We’ve looked at our co-parenting relationships, and now we want to look at when our kids are looking at dating! Last week we looked at having realistic expectations, and now we want to know about the age-appropriateness of dating. This is a common question for … Continue reading When Should I Allow My Child To Start Dating?
- Realistic Expectations for Dating (2/12/2020) - As we’ve talked about couple relationships, we want to also be talking about the relationships our children are engaging in! Here’s a look back from previous post on our blog that’s still relevant today: Teens love to hang out together – in large groups, small groups, and couples. As parents, we’re happy they have friends. But … Continue reading Realistic Expectations for Dating
- Our Parenting Relationship Affects The Kids (2/5/2020) - Last week I shared about my own relationship with my partner, and how it can be hard with young kids to find time to focus on the “couple relationship”… And I don’t think I am the only one! Let’s review this with a Research & Reality lens: RESEARCH – Well, the research is clear — … Continue reading Our Parenting Relationship Affects The Kids
- Valentine’s Day is Coming! Let’s Talk about Relationships (1/29/2020) - We are sneaking up on February, which brings Valentine’s Day! On the Science of Parenting, we talk about our relationships with our kids, and next month we are diving into COUPLE relationships – both kids and adults. We will explore suggestions for how to navigate when your child is expressing interest in dating and some … Continue reading Valentine’s Day is Coming! Let’s Talk about Relationships
- Catch Them Doing Good! (1/22/2020) - It is the start of a New Year, which can mean, as a family we are trying to find resolutions or goals for our family to work toward! Parents who stay busy keeping up with their children know that schedules, chores and activities can create chaos if we don’t plan for how we are going … Continue reading Catch Them Doing Good!