Here at the Science of Parenting, we believe in the power of parents. We KNOW that when armed with trustworthy information, parents are better able to make decisions about what is best for their children and their family.
Our blog contains short, sweet, and sometimes humorous posts around current issues in parenting. We want to share parenting research when you need it most. So explore our blog posts … where research and reality merge.
Don’t forget to search for past topics by using the search box in the top right of the page!
- “Am I a good parent?” – and other ways we reflect on our parenting (7/11/2019) - “Am I good parent?”…“I feel like a bad mom today.”… “Feeling like Dad-of-the-year over here (sarcastically).” From morning to evening, parents make countless choices throughout the day. The thought process about how to get your child to clean up their room without it becoming an ordeal. The decision whether to “choose this battle” about your … Continue reading “Am I a good parent?” – and other ways we reflect on our parenting
- Words have POWER (7/3/2019) - Sometimes the best blogs come from the hearts of dear friends. A while back a young mom posted this on social media. She has two young children and a heart of gold. I’m sharing this with her permission as food for thought as we kick of a series of blogs about the reality of parenting … Continue reading Words have POWER
- Help Young Children Form Positive Financial Habits (6/11/2019) - Guest blogger and Iowa State University Extension and Outreach Human Sciences Specialist in Family Finance, Sandra McKinnon shares some compelling information on youth and financial literacy. Children form financial habits at an early age. Parents and care providers can influence what those habits will be. University of Wisconsin-Madison researcher Karen Holden and colleagues found that … Continue reading Help Young Children Form Positive Financial Habits
- Summer Fun with the Family! (6/3/2019) - As the summer unfolds and the weather warms I am reminded that our physical health can be a concern! We need to remember to drink plenty of fluids when hot humid days arrive! We need to stop and take a break when we feel exhausted! As a family, you may have activity plans that include … Continue reading Summer Fun with the Family!
- Be Kind and Feel Better, Research Shows (5/14/2019) - I wanted to take the opportunity here in our blog to share research by our very own Science of Parenting co-founder, Douglas Gentile. Gentile was instrumental in launching ISU Extension and Outreach’s Science of Parenting. In 2011 Science of Parenting began with audio podcasts and a blog, and we have now grown to a one-stop, … Continue reading Be Kind and Feel Better, Research Shows
- 101 Ways to Celebrate Your Family: Community Engagement (4/17/2019) - The last category I pulled out of the ‘101 Ways to Celebrate Your Family’ was community engagement. Week one, we explored hobbies. Week two, we embraced family. This week, we’re getting out and giving back! Building civic engagement in kiddos is critical – we need to help build a generation of youth who support one … Continue reading 101 Ways to Celebrate Your Family: Community Engagement
- 101 Ways to Celebrate Your Family: Family Connections & History (4/10/2019) - Last week, I gave you some hobbies and activities to try in order to celebrate your family and create #greatchildhoods. Want to dig a little deeper? The next step beyond immediate family activities is family connections and family history. These are the ideas that will help parents connect their children to those who came before … Continue reading 101 Ways to Celebrate Your Family: Family Connections & History
- 101 Ways to Celebrate Your Family: Hobbies & Activities (4/3/2019) - April is national Child Abuse Prevention Month. The national organization Prevent Child Abuse (PCA) America’s theme this year is “Do more of what you love to create #greatchildhoods,” which I LOVE. It embraces the idea of finding a passion – or finding things you enjoy doing – and using them to spend quality time as … Continue reading 101 Ways to Celebrate Your Family: Hobbies & Activities
- E-Cigarettes (3/25/2019) - About a month ago, a colleague of ours wrote a piece on the costs of smoking e-cigarettes. We decided we wanted to highlight her words were worth sharing over here at The Science of Parenting as well. Please welcome our guest blogger, Joyce Lash, Human Science Specialist in Family Finance. March 5, 2019. Money Tips … Continue reading E-Cigarettes
- Are we even communicating? (3/15/2019) - Talk. Conversation. Communication. My last blogs on talk and conversation led me to communication. Have you ever asked this “Are we even communicating?” Or how about “Is anything I’m saying getting through?” As parents I KNOW you have asked yourself this at least one time. Communication can almost be a four letter word, right? Every … Continue reading Are we even communicating?
- We need to have a conversation (3/7/2019) - Talk. Conversation. Communication. My last blog hinted that I had some things to say about these three words. We started with Talk. Now we need to have a conversation. Sometimes as adults we struggle when it comes to having a big conversation with our children. Do we tell our children the bad news? Should we … Continue reading We need to have a conversation
- Can we talk? (2/20/2019) - Talking. Conversation. Communication. I have been having some thoughts on those three words recently, so I thought I might come here to share them with you. This may take several posts but I don’t think I’m the only one with these thoughts. Talking. Let’s start with the obvious one. And let’s just go ahead and … Continue reading Can we talk?