Here at the Science of Parenting, we believe in the power of parents. We KNOW that when armed with trustworthy information, parents are better able to make decisions about what is best for their children and their family.
Our blog contains short, sweet, and sometimes humorous posts around current issues in parenting. We want to share parenting research when you need it most. So explore our blog posts … where research and reality merge.
Don’t forget to search for past topics by using the search box in the top right of the page!
- Catch Them Doing Good! (1/22/2020) - It is the start of a New Year, which can mean, as a family we are trying to find resolutions or goals for our family to work toward! Parents who stay busy keeping up with their children know that schedules, chores and activities can create chaos if we don’t plan for how we are going … Continue reading Catch Them Doing Good!
- Routines Support the Family (1/15/2020) - If your schedule in December was anything like mine, our routines were really mixed up. We spent more time celebrating with family and friends and our eating and sleeping schedules were more flexible than usual. When holidays are over, getting back to a regular schedule or routine can provide the structure and safety that most … Continue reading Routines Support the Family
- Expressing Appreciation with Thank You Notes (1/8/2020) - The holidays have passed, and now is the perfect time to get busy giving thanks to the many people who helped to make the holiday a special time for all of us. As adults, we know how good it feels to be appreciated. Teaching other family members how to express appreciation is truly a gift … Continue reading Expressing Appreciation with Thank You Notes
- Goal Setting for Your Family in the New Year (1/1/2020) - Are you someone who likes to set goals? Do you find the start of a new year the perfect time to make lists of opportunities and challenges your family can accomplish during the year? Many people like to make resolutions, so perhaps your family too can establish some resolutions, goals, or challenges that can be … Continue reading Goal Setting for Your Family in the New Year
- Help we are all inside -TOGETHER! Stop. Breathe. Talk. (12/20/2019) - As winter begins, those of us here at the Science of Parenting are snuggled deep in our blankets and sweaters. Realizing that most of you probably are too, we decided that it might be a good time to revisit the idea of Stop. Breathe. Talk. With winter break upon us, a multitude of people inhabiting … Continue reading Help we are all inside -TOGETHER! Stop. Breathe. Talk.
- Making it ALL happen. Holiday Overload. (12/12/2019) - No matter where you live or what age your children are, the last eight weeks of the calendar year can become chaotic and frenzied. The people around us are hustling and bustling and racing in ways that ultimately rub off on us, even if we don’t share or practice the same holiday festivities. All of … Continue reading Making it ALL happen. Holiday Overload.
- Consider Giving Kids Less Stuff, More Time during Holidays (12/4/2019) - Although the holidays can be a season of giving, sometimes the focus shifts to a season of getting, or so it may seem from a child’s perspective. It’s OK to give gifts to our children. We all want to see our children happy, and as parents we give from the goodness of our hearts. However, it’s … Continue reading Consider Giving Kids Less Stuff, More Time during Holidays
- It Can Be Hard, but We Are Thankful (11/26/2019) - Around Thanksgiving time, we are surrounded with messages about thankfulness. As parents, people often remind us to fully enjoy the moments with our kids because time is fleeting. While there is truth to this, at Science of Parenting we want to look at research and REALITY. We recognize that raising children can be so rewarding, … Continue reading It Can Be Hard, but We Are Thankful
- Well-being During the Holidays (11/20/2019) - As I look at the calendar and think about the upcoming opportunities to celebrate with family and friends, I can feel a bit overwhelmed. The thought of keeping a clean house, purchasing food, and preparing for the many holiday meals that are shared reminds me that perhaps I can shake the overwhelm by practicing some … Continue reading Well-being During the Holidays
- Holiday Tears and Tantrums (11/13/2019) - During the holiday season, watch for signs of stress in your children. It can be a time of too little sleep and quiet moments and too much excitement, activity, and food. Is it any wonder the tears and tantrums come easily? No, I’m not talking about you – I’m thinking about the children. So here … Continue reading Holiday Tears and Tantrums
- Expressing Thanks and Practicing Generosity (11/4/2019) - Each year, as the month of November nears, I begin thinking about the Thanksgiving traditions that have been so meaningful for my family over the years. The annual “turkey trot” walk / run happens each year at the high school I attended. Another amazing tradition – a local volunteer and her family generously provide a … Continue reading Expressing Thanks and Practicing Generosity
- Holiday Celebrations: A Choice for Every Family (10/25/2019) - Not every family will celebrate holidays in the same way. For a variety of reasons, families mark holidays in their own way, and those choices should always come without judgement by others. The Halloween holiday is one of those holidays that some families will celebrate, while others will not. Over the years, the way in … Continue reading Holiday Celebrations: A Choice for Every Family