Here at the Science of Parenting, we believe in the power of parents. We KNOW that when armed with trustworthy information, parents are better able to make decisions about what is best for their children and their family.
Our blog contains short, sweet, and sometimes humorous posts around current issues in parenting. We want to share parenting research when you need it most. So explore our blog posts … where research and reality merge.
Don’t forget to search for past topics by using the search box in the top right of the page!
- Same Girl, Different Year (2/27/2018) - Recently, I attended a professional development opportunity on the DiSC personality profile, which categorizes you into one of four areas – dominance, influence, conscientiousness, and steadiness (read more about specifics here: https://discprofile.com/what-is-disc/overview/ ). The day consisted of activities that better helped us to understand our personality type, the type of those with whom we work, … Continue reading Same Girl, Different Year
- Don’t Judge Me! I’m Busy Parenting! (2/13/2018) - Do you ever get the feeling people watch your every move and judge you? Well sometimes, while parenting, we can feel people’s eyes on us as we interact with our children. And, it is wonderful when our interactions with our children are positive, but that is not every day. We all have days that we … Continue reading Don’t Judge Me! I’m Busy Parenting!
- Did you say STRESS? (2/2/2018) - We have been talking teens, and that means we may also need to talk about the “s” word…also known as STRESS! While stress can take many forms and it can be considered both positive and negative, all of us, at one time or another, have probably experienced stress! You know the feeling, your heart starts … Continue reading Did you say STRESS?
- Teenagers (1/24/2018) - Teenagers… Wait, what was your reaction when you read that word? Maybe an eye roll, a sigh, or perhaps a smile? Each of us have a different experience with raising teenagers – some parents think it is the most fun age during their parenting journey while others dread it. Some of us may even fall … Continue reading Teenagers
- I Love My Child. I Love My Child… (1/8/2018) - “I love my child. I love my child. I love my child.” Seriously, I do love my child, but sometimes I have to remind myself in the heat of the moment. For example, right now my daughter is in this phase where she stands at my feet screaming while I try to cook supper. It … Continue reading I Love My Child. I Love My Child…
- Family Finances in the New Year (12/29/2017) - As the New Year approaches, are you writing down some goals or resolutions? Each year, I try to identify one or two new things I want to try, or do differently. I often use the beginning of the New Year to adjust my savings strategy so that I can also meet my goal of having … Continue reading Family Finances in the New Year
- Home and School Connections (12/19/2017) - Over the next several weeks, many children will be taking a ‘break’ from school. Often times I use this break to catch up with my girls’ school calendars, activities and classroom connections. I guess it’s my way to plan for the New Year. As you look ahead to this break, might I suggest that it … Continue reading Home and School Connections
- Baby-Led Weaning – Just the Facts! (12/7/2017) - Have you all been hearing as much about baby-led weaning as we have? We decided it’s time for us to take a look at hot topic! To start us off, let’s first look at two common methods for introducing foods to an infant. … Continue reading Baby-Led Weaning – Just the Facts!
- Nutrition and Wellness for Families (12/4/2017) - Human Sciences Extension and Outreach has three subject areas, including Nutrition and Wellness, which covers a variety of topics from what’s on your plate to food safety to preservation to exercise. Some of these apply to families, some address aging, and some are adult specific. One of our best tools for nutrition that is … Continue reading Nutrition and Wellness for Families
- Gift Giving at the Holidays (11/20/2017) - As the holiday season approaches, many of us find ourselves looking at the calendar and making checklists, of things that require our attention, like baking; cleaning; holiday school programs, and gift shopping. If you are someone who has a list of people that you shop for at the holidays, then this time of year is … Continue reading Gift Giving at the Holidays
- The Modern Family… are we doing okay? (11/15/2017) - We often tend to think of the “traditional American family” as being two married parents with 1.5 children, and the whole white picket fence thing. But actually we see that two-parent families have been declining over the last few years. We’re seeing changes in the size of modern families as well as the family structure. … Continue reading The Modern Family… are we doing okay?
- Not Just a Blog Any More… (11/10/2017) - Throughout the last couple of months, as you’ve visited the Science of Parenting Blog, you may have noticed some changes. We’ve had many conversations about what we, the Science of Parenting team, want to provide to you based on feedback we’ve received, and the overwhelming feeling was to not just provide blog posts, but also … Continue reading Not Just a Blog Any More…