Everybody is extra busy during May. It’s the beginning of outdoor sports such as soccer, softball, and baseball. Spring celebrations abound such as graduations and Mother’s Day, plus it’s time to get the vegetable and flower gardens going. Whatever the reason, it seems no one wants to be in the kitchen.
Our featured recipe this month starts with a package of macaroni and cheese. Add in cooked beef, pork or chicken (beans for a vegetarian meal) plus some vegetables and you have a filling meal that takes 10 minutes to make and costs just $0.82 per serving. This meal will be simpler if the next time you cook meat and vegetables, you prepare extra. Then all you have to do is cook the macaroni and stir everything together.
- 1 7 1/4 ounce package macaroni & cheese mix
- 1 16-ounce package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked beef, pork, or chicken
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic or onion powder
- Cook macaroni in large saucepan as directed on package. After about 5 minutes, add the frozen vegetables and continue cooking until macaroni is tenderand vegetables are cooked; drain.
- Return macaroni and vegetables to the pan. Add the meat.
- Stir the cheese sauce mix, milk, and garlic or onion powder together. Stir into macaroni mixture. (Omit the butter/margarine recommended on the package).
- Cook over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.