I like baked apples, but when it’s just for me, I don’t want to heat the oven up. Our featured recipe this month, Hurry Up Baked Apples, uses the microwave to do the baking. These are great as a dessert, snack, or for breakfast.
Stacie noticed this recipe on our website and commented, “I stumbled across your website when looking for healthy, easy to freeze recipes for my family and now I’m hooked on this site! I made this recipe for my 1year-old twins and they loved it! I only did two apples. They got one half and I ate the other. The second apple I saved for their snack at daycare. So easy, so good, and smells great!”
Serves: 4 Serving Size: 1 apple half
- 2 medium-size tart apples (Granny Smith, Braeburn, Cortland, Jonathan, Fuji)
- 1 teaspoon white or brown packed sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons (total) raisins, sweetened dried cranberries, chopped walnuts or other nuts
- 1 (6-ounce) container low-fat vanilla yogurt
- Cut apples in half lengthwise. Use spoon to remove cores and hollow out a space 1 inch or more deep. Arrange apple halves, cut sides up, in microwavable dish. Cut thin slices off bottoms to keep from tipping.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, oatmeal, raisins, and nuts. Fill each apple half.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Fold back one edge ¼ inch to vent steam.
- Microwave 3 to 3 ½ minutes, or until apples can be cut easily. Take from microwave. Let sit a few minutes.
Spoon yogurt over the top.