My daughter shared with me that she spent the afternoon helping her friend make meals to put in the freezer. Her friend has young children, a new job, and a husband who has to be out of town a night or two each week. It sounded like the girls had a great time working together plus they came up with several meals that will be ready to go on hectic nights.
Our featured recipe this month, Sweet and Sour Rice Dinner, could be doubled or tripled for make ahead meals. The recipe includes ingredients for a tasty sweet and sour sauce but you could also use a bottled version if you prefer. The dish goes together smoothly if you measure and prepare all ingredients ahead of time.
If you have already cooked chicken to use just cook the sauce ingredients (step 6) and stir in the chicken and veggies. Cook for about 5 minutes to heat and serve over rice.
All you need to make this a full meal is some fruit and a glass of milk.
Sweet and Sour Rice Dinner
Serving Size: 2/3 cup rice, 1¼ cup topping
- 16 ounces chicken (skinless, boneless)
- 1 bag (16-ounce) frozen stir-fry veggies
- ¼ cup prepared sweet and sour sauce
- OR make your own mixture
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups instant uncooked brown rice
- 1 can (8-ounce) pineapple chunks with juice
- Cut chicken into ¾ inch pieces. Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Remove stir-fry veggies from freezer to thaw.
- Optional: Make sweet and sour sauce. Mix the sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Stir in water, soy sauce, vinegar, and ketchup. Set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, add chicken and cook until done. Remove chicken to a bowl and set aside. Set frying pan aside.
- Heat water for rice to boiling. Add rice. Let rice cook according to the package directions.
- Return skillet (used to cook chicken) to the stove. Add sauce ingredients from above. Cook over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly OR add the prepared sweet and sour sauce.
- Stir in the pineapple (undrained), vegetables, and chicken. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Serve chicken and veggie mixture on top of the rice.