I have to admit I was skeptical when I first tried this recipe. I could not imagine cauliflower, apples, and lettuce together. Now I am a believer. The fresh, mild taste of the crunchy cauliflower, the sweet, tart flavor of the apple, and the ranch dressing are great together.
If you haven’t chopped up a cauliflower before, you’ll be surprised how easy it is.
This salad is great for an everyday meal, a picnic, or for company. You can make it several hours ahead of time and the leftovers are good, although the lettuce is a little wilted the next day.
To make the salad more special sometimes I add sunflower seeds or raisins, use red onions for color, as well as romaine lettuce for color and more nutrition.
Creamy Cauliflower Salad
Cost Per Serving: $.61
- 2 cups cauliflower broken into florets (about 1/2 head)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cups chopped lettuce (romaine works well)
- 1 chopped red or green apple (Braeburn, Granny Smith)
- 1/4 cup light ranch dressing
- Prepare the cauliflower by rinsing well in cold water just before using it. Snap off the outer leaves and discard.
- Use a sharp knife and cutting board to slice off stem and hollow out and remove core.
- Cut or break cauliflower into small pieces called florets.
- Toss cauliflower, onion, lettuce, and apples in a medium bowl.
- Stir in dressing.
- Cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Change this recipe by adding other foods such as sunflower seeds or raisins.
- Use red onion to add more color.