I have used several apps to track my food and exercise. The one I am currently using, MyFitnessPal, is just about perfect for me and it receives the highest rating by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. If you don’t have a smart phone you can do the same thing on the MyFitnessPal web site.
Why do I like it?
- It is free.
- It has a large food database with more than 1,100,000 foods with the option for food or recipe entry.
- It includes a database of more than 350 fitness exercises, with calories burned for a “net” calories remaining.
- It is easy to scan barcodes to add foods.
- It provides a weekly average and other detailed reports and charts of your progress over time. This is motivational for me.
- It offers the analysis of fat, calories, protein and carbohydrates; PLUS iron, calcium, vitamin A, vitamin C and potassium.
MyFitnessPal also lets you add friends and link to Facebook for support. I haven’t used this feature, but it looks interesting.