Banana bread is one of my favorite foods. I can make it a part of any meal or snack. Luckily my family agrees with me. Our April recipe is banana oatmeal bread, and it is delicious!
In February I got a great deal on bananas at the grocery store. There were bags of about four bunches of bananas for $0.99 per bag. The bananas were starting to get brown and soft, but that was fine with me. I bought two bags and froze them when we got home from the store.
I like to freeze bananas for banana bread whole with the peel still on. When I am ready to make the bread, I grab three or four bananas and thaw them under running water. Once they are thawed, I pull the bottom off the banana, squeeze the flesh into a bowl, and mash with a fork.
I like to freeze bananas for snacking and for smoothies already peeled and sliced. I peel and slice the bananas, place them on a baking sheet lined with wax paper, and put them in the freezer until they are solidly frozen. Then I transfer them to a freezer bag. This makes it easy to grab a few banana slices for a cool snack or to thicken up a smoothie.
Check out our video on storing bananas for more on freezing bananas.
Whether you have frozen bananas or fresh, try out this recipe. I think you will enjoy it as much as my family does!
Banana Oatmeal Bread
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- teaspoon salt
- 1 cups mashed bananas (4 small or
- 3 medium bananas)
- 1/4 cup chopped raisins or nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease or spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Beat the oil and eggs with a mixer.* Add sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Mix flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Add flour mixture and mashed bananas to oil and egg mixture. Add raisins or nuts if you want. Stir until blended.
- Pour mixture into loaf pan. Lay a piece of tinfoil over the top of the pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. When you poke a toothpick near the center of the bread, make sure it comes out clean.
- Remove bread from oven and let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Run a knife between the bread and the sides of the pan. Turn the pan upside down on a baking rack. Cool bread before you cut it.
* You can make this bread without a mixer. With a spoon, beat the oil and eggs with a lot of energy. The bread will rise more if you beat more air into it.