Today I would like to introduce you to one of my favorite Spend Smart. Eat Smart recipes – Zesty Whole Grain Salad. A student shared the inspiration for this recipe with me, and, once I tasted it, I was hooked. I ate it for lunch nearly every day for weeks.
This salad makes a perfect lunch, and this is why:
- It tastes great with the sweet and tangy homemade salad dressing.
- The fiber, protein, and fat will fill you up and keep you full.
- It is easy to pack into smaller containers for lunches on the go.
- You get fruit, vegetables, protein, and whole grains in one bowl.
- It simplifies lunch planning for the week because it makes a lot and it stores well in the refrigerator. So you and your family can eat it for three or four days.
Zesty Whole Grain Salad
Serving Size: 6 | Serves: 1 1/2 cups | Cost Per Serving: $1.43
- 2 cups cooked whole grain (brown rice, kamut™, quinoa)
- 2 tablespoons oil (canola or vegetable)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 apples, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts)
- 1/2 cup dried fruit (cranberries, cherries, raisins)
- 1 bunch kale or 10-ounce package spinach (about 6 cups), torn into bite-sized pieces
- Cook whole grain according to package directions. Cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Stir apples, nuts, dried fruit, and whole grain into dressing.
- Toss greens with other ingredients.
- Substitute 2 cups of chopped fruit (strawberries, grapes, oranges) for the apples.
- Do not give honey and nuts to infants under one year of age.