Happy 4th of July from the Spend Smart. Eat Smart. team! Today we are celebrating with our recipe of the month – Sweet and Tangy Chicken Quesadillas.
I enjoy using sweet and savory flavors in a meal, but, I confess, I had never had fruit in a quesadilla until I tried this recipe. I was skeptical when I first made these quesadillas, but now I enjoy trying different fruit and vegetable combinations in my quesadillas. This recipe combines canned peaches, chicken cooked in the juice drained from the peaches, and cheese in a whole wheat tortilla to make a delicious quesadilla.
This recipe is easy to adapt to the foods you have on hand. I have substituted beans for the chicken to make a meatless meal and I have used canned pineapple when I was out of peaches. You can have fun making many tasty combinations.
Sweet and Tangy Chicken Quesadillas
Serving Size: 1 quesadilla | Serves: 4
Cost Per Serving: $1.04
- 1 can (15 ounces) peaches in 100% juice
- 1 cup boneless, skinless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese
- 4 8-inch whole wheat tortillas
Optional: black beans, cilantro, corn, jalapeño pepper, onion, salsa, tomato
- Strain the juice from the peaches into a bowl. Cut peaches into small bite-sized pieces. Set the peaches aside.
- Heat a skillet to medium. Spray it with cooking spray. Add chicken and peach juice.
- Cook the chicken, stirring occasionally, until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Remove chicken and peach juice from skillet.
- Put 1/4 of each ingredient (chicken mixture, peaches, cheese, and optional ingredients) on half of each tortilla.
- Fold the empty side of the tortilla over the cheese, chicken, and fruit like closing a book.
- Cook quesadillas in skillet until lightly browned on both sides. Make sure they are warmed through and cheese is melted.
- Substitute other fruit, such as pineapple or apricots.