Last week Brianna wrote about our Garlic and Herb Lentils recipe. If you get a bag of dried lentils to try that recipe, you might be wondering what else you can cook with lentils to use them up. Here are some other ways to add them to your meals:
- Use them in our Lentil Tacos.
- Substitute cooked lentils for meat in chili, stews and stuffed pepper fillings.
- Make a pasta sauce thicker and heartier by adding cooked lentils.
- Add cooked lentils to rice, salad, or cooked whole grains to make a protein-rich main dish.
- Puree 1/2 cup cooked lentils with 2 tablespoons water. In recipes for baked goods like brownies and muffins, substitute half of the fat with 1/2 cup pureed lentils.
My husband and I really like the lentil tacos. And I’ve made muffins with lentils in them that my son and I liked. I think next I will try adding them to rice or a salad and see if my family enjoys them that way. Lentils are inexpensive, nutritious, and can be used in many ways so I encourage you to pick up a bag and try them out!