By Kathryn Standing
ISU Student, Dietetics & Psychology
We’ve made it through another summer. School is back in session and so are busy mornings. It is easy to feel overwhelmed in the morning; making sure everyone is ready, out the door, and fed. Figuring out a quick, nutritious, and tasty breakfast can be the most challenging part of the school routine. Luckily, the Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website and app have a lot of good recipes that you can either make ahead or make quickly.
These recipes can be made ahead of time and frozen. Just microwave and send them on their way!
- Scrambled Egg Muffins These are a great gluten free option.
- Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos These burritos are a great, creative project for the kids to help with.
These make ahead baked goods have an added bonus of going great with coffee or doubling as an easy snack time solution.
- Banana Oatmeal Bread Great for those bananas that are a little past their prime.
- Breakfast Cookies A fan favorite, easy to grab and go.
- Chewy Granola Bars Easy to make gluten free if you substitute gluten free oats and pretzels.
Looking for something that you can make in a hurry? Look no further.
- Oatmeal Packet Easy to customize for your favorite oatmeal flavors.
- Crunchy Apple Roll-Ups Fun for the kids to help with. They can also be packed with lunch.
I hope these recipes help to lighten the load of busy mornings. Sending our best to you and yours this school year.