This recipe is so easy it is almost embarrassing, but it tastes so good we had to include it. The dressing is what makes this a hit. Adding just a little mayonnaise to the yogurt really ups the flavor. The lemon juice prevents the apples and pears from turning dark.
Like most of our recipes you can vary this one to suit your family. Some ideas include:
• Use dried cranberries or cherries instead of raisins.
• Add 1/2 cup celery, chopped (about 1 stalk).
• Add 1/4 cup walnuts or almonds, chopped.
• For a main dish salad, add chicken chunks, canned tuna, or salmon.
• Try with lemon, plain, or plain Greek yogurt
Crisp Fruit Salad
Serving Size: 3/4 cup | Serves: 6 (makes about 4 1/2 cups) | Cost Per Serving: $.64
- 1 red apple
- 1 pear
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup seedless grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 container (6 ounces) low fat, sugar free vanilla yogurt
- 2 tablespoons low fat mayonnaise-type salad dressing
- Wash fruit under cool running water.
- Chop apple and pear (leave skin on). Add to large serving bowl and toss with lemon juice.
- Add grapes and raisins to bowl.
- Combine yogurt and salad dressing in a small bowl and spread over fruit.
- Stir to combine. Refrigerate. Best eaten the day it is prepared.