Do not forget about potatoes when you are looking for a healthy and cheap meal that will fill you up. I especially like baked and roasted potatoes and try to cook extra so I have a good start for another meal later in the week.
This month’s featured recipe is Loaded Potato Soup. When you use already-cooked potatoes, you can have this soup on the table in less than 15 minutes. The recipe calls for peas, but you can substitute other frozen vegetables such as corn, broccoli or mixed vegetables.
The key to this soup and other great potatoes is to BAKE them. Do not steam them by wrapping them in foil to bake in the oven or paper towels in the microwave. Check out our video for step by step directions for the Best Baked Potatoes.
- 4 Best Baked Potatoes or 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, cooked
- 1 tablespoon tub margarine
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
- 2 cups Homemade Chicken Broth, or one 14.5-ounce can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices (3 ounces) American cheese
- Optional garnishes: Sliced green onion, bacon bits, and/or shredded cheese
- Remove skins and mash potatoes into small pieces to make about 3 cups; set aside.
- Melt margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion and green pepper, if desired. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth and heat to a boil. Stir in milk, potatoes, peas, and pepper; heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cheese slices, cooking and stirring about 2 minutes until cheese melts. Add more milk if soup is thicker than you prefer.
- Add garnishes, if desired, and serve immediately.