- It’s a nutritious tasty recipe that only costs $.75 per serving.
- You can make it on top of the stove or in an electric skillet. I don’t like to use the oven in the summer so this is a perfect ‘no oven’ hot dish.
- It’s easy. There are not very many ingredients and you don’t have to cook the noodles first…saves on dirty dishes and time.
- It tastes good, I recently made it when my 20 year old son and 3 of his friends were at the house. They all loved it.
- It’s a very versatile recipe. My youngest son loves meat and likes it with a bit more meat in it. The original recipe calls for 1/2 pound of ground beef. Since it makes 8 1-cup servings, that provides 1 ounce meat per serving. If you double the meat you really aren’t overdoing the protein, it will provide 2 ounces per 1 cup serving. This will increase the cost to about $.90 – $.95 per serving — still a really good buy. You can also make this recipe without any meat at all.
My personal cooking tips:
- My family has a favorite spaghetti sauce brand that comes in a jar, but for this recipe I use a store or generic brand canned sauce (28 ounce can). It costs less and still tastes great.
- I stir in 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder to the cottage cheese before spooning it on.
- You want to make sure you thoroughly heat it after you put the cheese on top. The recipe says to cover and heat it for 5 – 10 minutes after putting the cheeses on. During that cooking time, I occasionally remove the lid and insert a spoon in a few places throughout the skillet. I’m not stirring it, just allowing some of the juices on the bottom to sort of rise up and mix with the cheeses a bit.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 cups spaghetti or pasta sauce (26 to 28 ounces)
- 1 cup water
- 8 ounces wide noodles
- 1 (10-ounce) package chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 (12-ounce) container lowfat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Optional: fresh or canned, drained sliced mushrooms
- Wash hands.
- Cook ground beef, onions, and garlic together in a large skillet or electric fry pan; stir to prevent sticking. When ground beef has turned brown transfer mixture to a colander set over a bowl and rinse with hot water to remove grease. Return mixture to skillet.
- Add spaghetti sauce and water to skillet and bring to a boil.
- Add uncooked noodles, stir, cover with lid, turn down the heat, and cook 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the thawed spinach with your clean hands to remove the juice and then stir into the pan. Add mushrooms if you like. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Spoon cottage cheese over the top. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, put the lid on and let it heat another 5 to 10 minutes until heated through and noodles are tender.
– comments from Renee Sweers