Roasted pork loin and vegetables is one of my “go to” recipes when I’m having family and friends over. It’s easy, it tastes wonderful and the preparation is done long before the guests come. I usually serve it with fresh or frozen fruit salad, rolls, and a fruit crisp since I am heating the oven.
Oh, I forgot to mention two more benefits. The house smells wonderful while the roast is cooking and the cost is very reasonable for such an impressive meal!
When choosing a roast make sure you buy a loin roast, not a tenderloin roast. A loin roast is about 3-4” in diameter and usually sold in pieces that weigh 2-4 pounds. In central Iowa, pork loin costs about $2 a pound on sale. A tenderloin is much smaller in diameter and costs about twice as much.
I use a rub to add flavor to the roast and I have a trick that dials up the flavor even more. I brown the meat in a big skillet before I put it in the oven to roast.
The only way to determine when your roast is done is to use a meat thermometer and take it out at 145 degrees. You’ll want to avoid overcooking the roast. Allow the meat to rest for at least five minutes before slicing.
When I make this recipe I make more vegetables than the recipes calls for. Roasted vegetables have a sweeter more intense flavor than raw or boiled vegetables and I love the leftovers. Cut the vegetables so they are all roughly the same size. I typically shoot for about 1 inch chunks, so they will be done at the same time.
I serve the pork sliced on a platter with the vegetables around the outside. Delicious!
Pork Loin Roast with Veggies
Serving Size: 3 ounces meat and 1 cup veggies | Servings: 6
- 2 cups potatoes, diced (about 12 ounces or 2 medium)2 cups onion, cut in wedges(about ½ pound or 2 medium onions)
- 2 cups baby carrots or ¾ pound regular carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1¼ pound pork loin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl mix the cut veggies with oil, salt, and pepper.
- Lay veggies around the edge of a 9 by 13 pan (or jellyroll pan).
- Use a small bowl to make the rub. Mix the brown sugar, garlic, ½ teaspoon pepper, and ¼ teaspoon salt in the bowl.
- Sprinkle the rub over the loin. Press gently so the rub sticks to the roast. Wash your hands after handling the raw meat.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the loin. Brown the sides of meat. Turn after about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the pork to the center of the pan with veggies. Bake for about 40 minutes. Check the temperature after 30 minutes in the oven. Take the meat out when a meat thermometer reads 145°F.
- Remove from oven. Let set for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.