Stores are advertising school supplies, new clothes, and shoes. It must be back-to-school time! To ensure your kids have a successful school year, start kids out with a healthy breakfast.
Research shows that many of us believe that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, yet more than half of all Americans do not eat breakfast every day, according to the 2009 Food and Health Survey: Consumer Attitudes toward Food, Nutrition, and Health, conducted by the International Food Information Council Foundation. Are you one of those non-breakfast eaters? If so, read on to see how this morning meal boosts brainpower.
- Show improvements on math, reading, and standardized test scores
- Pay better attention and perform better on problem-solving tasks
- Are less likely to be absent or tardy — and are more likely to behave better in school
- Consume more important nutrients, vitamins, and minerals such as calcium, dietary fiber, and protein
- Are less likely to be overweight
Adult breakfast skippers, take note — eating breakfast may help boost your brainpower,too. Remember, your kids are more likely to eat breakfast if you do, too. Eating breakfast together is even a better bonus — it helps instill more healthful eating habits in kids as they grow up.
Source: International Food Information Council Foundation, August 2010.