- 2 medium-size tart apples (Granny Smith, Braeburn, Cortland, Jonathan, Fuji)
- 1 teaspoon white or brown packed sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons (total) raisins, sweetened dried cranberries, chopped walnuts or other nuts
- 1 (6-ounce) container lowfat vanilla yogurt
- Cut apples in half lengthwise. Use spoon to remove cores and hollow out a space 1 inch or more deep. Arrange apple halves, cut sides up, in microwavable dish. Cut thin slices off bottoms to keep from tipping.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, oatmeal, raisins, and nuts. Fill each apple half.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Fold back one edge ¼ inch to vent steam.
- Microwave 3 to 3 ½ minutes, or until apples can be cut easily. Take from microwave. Let sit a few minutes.
- Spoon yogurt over the top.
- Great as a dessert, snack, or for breakfast.
- Storage tip for raw apples: They keep best in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.