- 4 cups sliced, assorted vegetables (zucchini, broccoli, peas)
- 1 cup grape or fresh tomatoes, chopped and seeds removed
- 8 ounces whole-wheat pasta (rotini, bow tie, penne)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Wash and prepare vegetables.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain water from cooked pasta and save 1/4 cup of water.
- Heat oil in a large skillet as pasta cooks. Add garlic and onion to skillet. Sauté over medium heat about 1-2 minutes or until soft.
- Add any uncooked hard vegetables and cook for 3 minutes. Add soft vegetables and continue to cook. Add Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Add tomatoes last and cook until warm.
- Add cooked drained pasta to the vegetables. Add a little of the water from the pasta if needed.
- Add cheeses to mixture. Stir until cheese is mostly melted.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient information per serving: 250 calories, 8 g total fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 240 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrates, 5 g dietary fiber, 10 g protein
Source: Spend Smart. Eat Smart.