• 2 cups washed vegetables, diced (e.g. broccoli, peppers, onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, or spinach)
• 6 eggs
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 cup low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray muffin tin with nonstick spray.
2. Add chopped veggies to the muffin tin.
3. Beat eggs in a bowl. Stir in salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
4. Pour eggs into the muffin tin and bake 20-25 minutes. To add cheese, remove the tin from the oven during the last 3 minutes of baking. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the muffins and return the tin to the oven.
5. Bake until the internal temperature reaches 160°F or a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
Meal Idea: Serve extras in tortillas or with a green salad and roll.
Nutritional information per serving
100 calories, 6 g total fat (2 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 215 mg cholesterol, 230 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 9 g protein
Source: Spend Smart Eat Smart http://www.extension.iastate.edu/foodsavings/