- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat penne or rotini pasta
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Add the frozen broccoli the last three minutes of cooking. Drain the water from the pasta and broccoli. Return food to the pot.
- Remove fat from chicken on a cutting board and cut meat into bite-sized pieces. Wash hands.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium high. Add chicken cubes to skillet and stir to coat with oil. Cook the chicken until it is done (165oF, about 7–9 minutes).
- Remove chicken from skillet when it is done cooking and cover to keep warm.
- Add the milk and cream cheese to the skillet. Stir the mixture constantly over low heat. The mixture will thicken and be smooth.
- Add the garlic powder, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir mixture. Then add cooked chicken and heat mixture.
- Combine meat mixture with the pasta and broccoli mixture. Serve.
Nutrition information per serving: 340 calories, 12 g total fat, 5 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 75 mg cholesterol, 390 mg sodium, 29 g total carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 30 g protein
This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more recipes, information, and videos, visit http://www.extension.iastate.edu/foodsavings/.