- 1 can (14.75-ounce) salmon, drained
- 1 egg
- 1 slice whole wheat bread, shredded, or 5 saltine crackers, crushed
- 3 green onions (including the green stems) or 1/3 cup white onion (chopped fine) (about 1/3 medium onion)
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced, or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning (paprika, chili powder, or dill weed)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Open and drain can of salmon in strainer. Remove any large bones and skin from salmon. Break salmon into chunks with a fork.
- Break egg into a large bowl. Whisk with fork. Add salmon, bread or crackers, onion, garlic, pepper, and additional seasoning. Mix gently.
- Form into 6 patties about 1/2″ thick.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place patties in skillet. Leave skillet uncovered. Cook 3 minutes. Turn over patties with a spatula. Cook the other side 3-4 minutes to a temperature of 145°F. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information per serving: 110 calories, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 75mg cholesterol, 230mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 0g sugar, 14g protein
This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more recipes, information, and videos, visit www.extension.iastate.edu/foodsavings/.