- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 4 (3-ounce) frozen white filets (e.g., tilapia), thawed
- 4 hamburger buns
- Optional sandwich toppings: sliced onions and tomatoes, leaf lettuce, tartar sauce, etc.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat until hot. Spread the cornmeal on a plate and press the fish into the cornmeal to coat all sides.
- Fry the fish in the hot oil until the cornmeal is lightly browned. This will take about 2–3 minutes on each side. Fish is done when the internal temperature reaches 145°F or it flakes easily with a fork.
- Move the fish from the frying pan to a plate lined with paper towels. Pat the fish dry with more paper towels.
- Assemble sandwiches with your favorite toppings.
Nutrition information per serving: 300 calories, 10g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 45mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 29g total carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 3g sugar, 22g protein
This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more recipes, information, and videos, visit www.extension.iastate.edu/foodsavings/.