- 2 teaspoons oil (canola or vegetable)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 or 3 large garlic cloves, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) stewed or diced tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen vegetables
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, oregano, or Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup uncooked pasta (such as rotini, macaroni, or small shells)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Sauté onion and garlic. If using garlic powder, add with seasonings.
- Add broth, tomatoes, beans, vegetables, and seasonings. Stir to mix.
- Bring to boil over medium heat.
- Stir in pasta. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer about 20 minutes until the pasta is tender.
Nutrition information per serving: 150 calories, 2.5g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 5g sugar, 8g protein
This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more information, recipes, and videos, visit spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu