Serving Size: 2/3 cup | Serves: 6
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil (canola or vegetable)
- 1 red bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 medium onion (thinly sliced)• 6 (8 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 6 ounces low fat cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1 cup tomato, chopped (optional)
- Cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Jalapeño, sliced (optional)
- Freeze chicken 30 minutes until firm and easier to cut. Cut chicken into 1/4” strips. Place in a single layer on a plate.
- Wash hands, knife, and cutting board. Sprinkle both sides of strips with chili and garlic powder.
- Add oil to a 12-inch skillet. Heat to medium high. Add chicken strips. Cook about 3–5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add bell peppers and onion. Stir and cook until vegetables are tender and chicken is no longer pink. (Heat chicken to at least 165°F.)
- Scoop chicken mixture (2/3 cup each) onto tortillas. Top with your favorite toppings.
- Serve flat or rolled.
Nutrition information per serving (1 tortilla with 2/3 cup filling): 260 calories, 9g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 50mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 4g dietary fiber, 27g carbohydrate, 2g sugar, 22g protein
Recipe courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart website. For more information, recipes, and videos, visit spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu