Serving Size: 1 burger | Serves: 4
- 1 can low sodium black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Optional: cheese slices, lettuce leaves, mushrooms, onion, tomato, whole wheat bread or hamburger buns
- Mash beans with a fork.
- Stir mashed beans, egg, bread crumbs, onion, pepper, and oil together until combined. Shape into 4-inch patties. Wash hands.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place patties in the skillet and cover with a lid. Cook patties for 5 minutes on the first side. Flip patties and cook for 4 more minutes on the other side.
- Serve with optional ingredients.
Nutrition information per serving:
200 calories, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 45mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 28g total carbohydrate, 8g fiber, 2g sugar, 10g protein
Recipe courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more information, recipes, and videos, visit spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu.