Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Serves: 6
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cups sliced apples
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces Neufchatel cheese, cubed
- Prick squash skin 6–8 times. Microwave for 5 minutes.
- When the skin is cool enough to touch, cut off the top and bottom of the squash. Peel and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds. Cut squash into cubes.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add squash, apples, and chicken broth. Heat to boiling and then reduce heat to medium low. Cover and cook for 25 minutes until squash and apples are tender.
- Blend soup until smooth using a blender.
- Return soup to saucepan and add cheese. Cook and whisk until cheese is smooth.
Nutrient information per serving:
210 calories, 7 g total fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 15 mg cholesterol, 440 mg sodium, 35 g total carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 12 g sugar, 6 g protein
This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more information, recipes, and videos, visit Spend Smart. Eat Smart. (spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu).