Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Serves: 8
- 1 tablespoon oil (canola or vegetable)
- 4 cups vegetables (like onions, carrots, and zucchini) (chopped or sliced)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning or dried basil
- 2 cups small whole wheat pasta (shell or macaroni)
- 6 cups fresh spinach leaves* (about 1/2 pound)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add onions and carrots. Cook until the vegetables are softened. Stir often. This should take about 3 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini and canned tomatoes. Cook 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, water, salt, and Italian seasoning or dried basil. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the pasta and spinach. Return to a boil.
- Cook until the pasta is tender using the time on the package for a guide.
Nutrient information per serving:
130 calories, 2.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans-fat, 20mg cholesterol, 370mg sodium, 23g total carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 5g sugar, 4g protein
This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. Visit the website for more information, recipes, and videos.