Food is a big part of holiday celebrations. Follow these safe food handling tips to prevent unwelcome foodborne illness from ruining your holidays!
- Safely thaw food in the refrigerator, in the microwave or in a cool water bath (change water every 30 minutes).
- Wash hands thoroughly in warm, soapy water for at least 20 seconds before, during and after food preparation.
- Use hot, soapy water to wash countertops, cutting boards, refrigerator door handles and utensils.
- Use two cutting boards, one to prepare raw meats and one to prepare fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Use separate spoons and forks to taste, stir and serve food.
- Place leftovers in the refrigerator within two hours of serving.
Adapted from 10 Holiday Home Food Safety Tips (www.eatright.org/homefoodsafety/safety-tips/holidays/10-holiday-home-food-safety-tips)