When the sun shines less in fall and winter, that can depress our mood. Regular physical activity lifts our spirits by releasing feel-good endorphins. Aim for 30 minutes of activity three to fve days a week. You can engage in three 10-minute bouts of activity a day, if 30 minutes all at once is daunting. Try these ideas for indoor physical activity during the cold and icy months:
- Turn on the radio and dance.
- March in place while watching your favorite TV show.
- Set an alarm to walk around your house or office every hour during the day.
- Climb stairs.
- Use workout videos.
- Explore streaming channels to find those that are free.
- Borrow an exercise video from your local library.
- Visit Spend Smart. Eat Smart., spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu, for free physical activity videos.