Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup | Serves: 8
- 2 cans (15 oz each) diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup dried black beans, rinsed
- 1 bag (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast, thawed
- Optional—Baked tortilla chips, chili fakes, chopped cilantro, jalapenos, lime, chopped avocado, light sour cream, salsa, or shredded cheese
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook for 4–6 hours on high heat or 8–10 hours on low.
- Remove chicken right before serving. Shred using two forks. Stir shredded chicken into soup.
- Serve with choice of optional ingredients.
TIPS: Use Mexican diced tomatoes to add spice.
Nutrition information per serving:
210 calories, 3g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 35mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 28g total carbohydrate, 6g fber, 4g sugar, 19g protein
This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more information, recipes, and videos, visit spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu