Serving Size: 1 stuffed pepper | Serves: 5
- 5 bell peppers (red, orange, yellow, or green)
- 1 pound ground beef (90% lean), uncooked
- 3/4 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1/2 can diced tomatoes (14 oz), low sodium
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cut a circular hole in the tops of the bell peppers. Remove seeds and membrane and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients and stir until completely mixed. Fill the bell peppers with meat mixture.
- Place the stuffed bell peppers in a large stockpot on the stove with the tops facing up. Add 1 inch of water to the bottom of the pot and cover.
- Place heat on medium, keeping covered for 30–40 minutes until rice is done. Serve.
Nutrition information per serving:
277 calories, 8g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 57mg cholesterol, 66mg sodium, 29g total carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 4g sugar, 21g protein
See how to make this recipe and more on USDA’s MyPlate Kitchen YouTube, bit.ly/3s09zjQ.
Source: MyPlate, www.myplate.gov/myplate-kitchen/recipes