We have heard a lot about the benefits of walking, but sometimes it seems boring to walk the same route all the time. There are ways to make it more interesting for everyone. Examples include the following:
- Research community history and explore it on a walk.
- Have you wondered about an interesting house or building in your community? Check with your local public library; they may have information about community history.
- Another idea is to listen to a podcast or an audiobook on your walk. There are many interesting podcasts—some are educational, inspiring, or entertaining. Audiobooks are also available through most public library apps, including Libby and Overdrive, as well as paid services.
Keep these safety tips in mind when walking:
- Let someone know where you are going.
- Take a cell phone.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Take a walking buddy for companionship.
- Keep the volume of your headphones at a reasonable level so you can hear others, cars, etc.