Serving Size: 1 muffin | Serves: 12
- 2 cups whole wheat four
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup oil (canola, olive, or vegetable)
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup zucchini (washed and shredded; about 1/2 large unpeeled zucchini)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a muffin tin.
- Whisk together four, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together applesauce, oil, milk, banana, and brown sugar in a separate bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir until just moistened.
- Stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Divide the mixture between 12 muffin cups. Bake until a tester (knife or toothpick) comes out clean (about 18 minutes).
Nutrition information per serving:
160 calories, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 26g total carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 9g sugar, 3g protein
This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more information, recipes, and videos, visit spendsmart.extension.iastate. edu