Breakfast is often considered the most important meal of the day. Yet many skip it. If you’re someone who skips breakfast, try to change that as you get into your fall routine.
Breakfast provides the following:
- mental alertness
- important nutrients
- reduction of chronic disease risk
Remember, a meal is simply a combination of foods from at least three food groups. Thus, breakfast doesn’t have to be huge. Here are some simple, nutrient-rich ideas:
- Yogurt parfait with berries and low fat granola.
- Whole wheat tortilla spread with peanut butter rolled around a banana.
- Coffee Cup Scramble with eggs, milk, and cheese (Recipe, iowaegg.org, from Iowa Egg Council). Enjoy with a slice of toast and a cup of juice.
- Whole grain cereal, topped with fruit and low-fat milk.
Check out more ideas from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 6 Tips for Better Breakfasts, eatright.org.