Serving Size: 1 cup chicken curry, 1/3 cup rice | Serves: 4
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste*
- 1 cup light coconut milk (about 1/2 of 13.5 ounce can)
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- Cook instant brown rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces.
- Spray a large frying pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add chicken, onion, carrots, ground black pepper, and salt. Cook over medium high heat for 8 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Stir in curry paste and coconut milk. (*This dish is spicy. For less spice, use less curry paste or add a little more coconut milk.)
- Simmer for 5–10 minutes until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in spinach. Simmer for 3 minutes more, stirring frequently.
- Serve curry over brown rice.
Nutrition information per serving:
290 calories, 7g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 85mg cholesterol, 390mg sodium, 29g total carbohydrates, 3g dietary fiber, 5g total sugars, 28g protein. This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more information, recipes, and videos, visit spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu