Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups | Serves: 6
- 2 pounds boneless pork butt, roast, or shoulder
- 1 cup bell pepper (any color), diced
- (1 medium pepper)
- 1 cup onion, diced (1 medium onion)
- 1 ½ cups salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) low sodium pinto beans
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) low sodium diced tomatoes
- Trim the visible fat from the pork. Cut into 2-inch chunks. Place in the slow cooker.
- Add the pepper, onion, and salsa.
- Cook on a low setting for 6 hours or a high setting for 3 hours.
- Pull the meat apart into shreds with a fork. You should have about 4 cups.
- Put half (2 cups) of the shredded pork in the refrigerator or freezer. This could be used for the Shredded Pork Sandwich, spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu. Freeze pork if it will not be used within 4 days.
- Return the rest of the pork to the slow cooker.
- Add the pinto beans and diced tomatoes.
- Cook another 30 minutes until hot.
Nutrition information per serving:
240 calories, 9g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans-fat, 40 mg cholesterol, 490mg sodium, 21g total carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 6g sugar, 18g protein.
This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more information, recipes, and videos, visit spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu