Old habits can be hard to break but through repetition, it is possible to form and maintain new habits! Building good habits can be achieved by putting yourself in situations where you are more likely to engage in the desired behavior. Below are a few suggestions on how to get started building these habits.
- Plan. Identify unhealthy patterns and triggers. Set realistic goals and identify steps to help you achieve them.
- Change your surroundings. Find ways to make healthy choices the easy choice. For example, precut vegetables so they are quick and easy to eat for snacks.
- Ask for support. Find friends, family, neighbors, or coworkers to join you.
- Track your progress. Record how things are going to help you stay on track.
- Reward yourself. Give yourself a non-food reward, such as a new piece of workout clothing, a new cookbook, or a new notebook for tracking your progress, when you have achieved a small goal.
Things may not go as planned and that is okay. Improvement takes time and setbacks happen. Focus on progress being made rather than perfection.